Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Why Ackerman was forced out of San Francisco.

Hey, I just read an interesting article a friend sent to me from a San Francisco newspaper about Ackerman's firing in San Francisco. I will post it the link below if you are interested. A few highlights.
It seemed like Ackerman could not get along with their School Board. She often bickered with them or accused folks of being racist when they didn't agree with her. It seems as if she didn't have the rubber stamp that she has hear in Philadelphia. The board questioned her when she recommended just shutting down "failing" schools, in fact they refused to let her do it. My favorite quote from this Article, "Lipson Mar and Sanchez -- along with leadership of the teachers' union -- have fought the reapplication requirement saying it is a slap in the face to educators who have dedicated their careers to working in difficult schools." I wish our Union and SRC gave the teachers who care deeply the same respect that they did in San Francisco.
Any way I recommend checking it out. I would love to hear your comments.


1 comment:

  1. I love the fact that she referred to the school board as a bunch of gnats

    ReplyDelete

Would you remain at your school if it became a Renaissance School?

Is it time for the PFT to change it's leadership?

Good books for Urban Educators

  • "High Stakes Education" by Pauline Lipman
  • "Entertaining an Elephant" by William McBride
  • "City Schools and the American Dream" by Pedro Noguera